Living on Florida’s Space Coast surrounded by many engineers who are now receiving half to two-thirds of the salaries they had a few years ago, the harsh realities of economic life are evident. As a matter of fact, under-employed and unemployed scientists, technologists, engineers and mathematicians abound. Many superb professionals with multiple master’s degrees and more are no longer employed in their fields. Some are even still attempting to pay off student loans. Why?
Well, first let’s look at the hypocrisy of those who control the direction of CCSS, STEM and what is absurdly called education reform.
Common Core State Standards (CCSS) and Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics: Education for Global Leadership (STEM) are programs that are heavily financed by government at the highest levels. Billions of dollars are funneled to them. We have been told that there is a dire need for scientists, technologists, engineers, and mathematicians.
Who was/is leading this massive education reform movement with these goals? What college degrees do they themselves possess as leaders of this education reform initiative?
* Bill Gates, the multibillionaire who has a foundation with more investments in educational organizations and corporations than any man alive, is the world’s most famous college drop-out.
* Eli Broad, the multibillionaire who has a foundation with lots of investments in educational organizations and corporations, has a Bachelor’s degree in Business from Michigan State University.
* President George W. Bush, who initiated No Child Left Behind, has a Bachelor’s degree in History from Yale and a Master’s in Business Administration from Harvard.
* Margaret Spellings, appointed by Pres. Bush as the first Secretary of Education without a degree in Education, has a Bachelor’s degree in Political Science from the University of Houston.
* President Barack Obama, who initiated both Race to the Top and STEM financing, has a Bachelor’s degree from Columbia University in Political Science and a Doctor of Constitutional Law from Harvard.
* Arne Duncan, appointed by Pres. Obama as the second Secretary of Education without a degree in Education, has a Bachelor’s degree in Sociology from Harvard.
* Michelle Rhee, the celebrity poster-person for the entire corporate education reform movement in spite of the test cheating and score fixing scandals that surround her, has a Bachelor’s degree in Government from Cornell University and a Master’s degree in Public Policy from Harvard.
* Paul Vallas, the past leader of the education reform movement in spite of worsening the devastation of school systems including Chicago, Philadelphia, New Orleans and other parts of Louisiana, Haiti and Bridgeport, Connecticut (where the state Supreme Court declared him unqualified to be a superintendent of education) has a Master’s degree in Political Science from Western Illinois University. (Vallas is presently the endorsed candidate for lieutenant governor in Illinois.)
Well, the list goes on and on.
“Education for Global Leadership” with focus, funding, testing. etc. from leaders who claim leadership demands degrees in science, technology, engineering and mathematics. However, YOUR child must follow these areas to succeed as leaders – according to actual leaders who have no degrees in Education or the STEM areas.
That sure seems like bipartisan hypocrisy for corporate profit. Which corporations? The most lucrative organizations and corporations in the growing Education Industrial Complex. Start with Pearson and then google as many brands as you read about online. Remember the highly profitable related brands who provide data mining.
Read HERE for the STEM site itself.
Read HERE for the license, copyright and disclaimer page of CCSS – a real eye opener.
Read HERE for Paul Krugman’s “The Fake Skills Shortage.” He reveals that cheap labor is behind it all.
Read HERE for Freddie deBoer’s article “STEM: Still No Shortage – on a myth that just won’t die.” Glut the market with STEM people to keep wages down.
Read HERE for the Slate article by Rebecca Schuman. Your child in what school for what purposes?
Read HERE for an earlier blog explaining the CCSS disclaimer and other links to reality.